It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 pm

The Playground

For topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

Moderator: Board Members

• Author

Biplane

Board Member

The Playground

PostSat Dec 24, 2005 11:06 am

I don't really care what you post here. Post whatever you want! C'mon...it'll be great!!!

Biplane out.

Biplane

Board Member

Words that rhyme with goat...

PostFri Jan 06, 2006 3:12 pm

Some words that rhyme with "goat" are:

Moat
Boat
Float
Rote
Wrote
Dote
Coat
Note
Poet (Sorta)

Biplane out.

yup

PostSat Jan 07, 2006 1:49 pm

I think you should tell us about your adventures in Europe.
:)
Yup Ima Pancake

Calibur_

Retired Member

PostSun Jan 08, 2006 5:47 pm

OOH! Tell us about what you guys have done! Did Andy sleep in his hotel room through the New Year? Did Bill drink coffee and watch the celebration from afar? Did Andy goosestep under the Eifel Tower?

WE MUST KNOW.
XOXO,
Tarianna
Eelskin Darby the Flatulent, scourge of The Harbor

Resident English Nazi
<O/
o/ o/ o/ SIEG HEIL! \o \o \o

Biplane

Board Member

Rarha

PostMon Jan 30, 2006 10:58 pm

Almost a month later...

I get to this thread!!!

Hooray!

Europe:

Gosh...it's so difficult to think about what to post. After all, "what happens in Europe stays in Europe..."

Hmm...

Well, in Amsterdam I went to Anne Frank's House (which is a somber experience), went on a canal cruise (informative and relaxing), went to the Van Gogh Museum (my all-time favorite artist), and danced away New Years amid the absurd amounts of fireworks and broken bottles in Leidse Plein (the less said about this evening, the better my reputation will be. Heehee).
Then the bus ride to Brussels: I read Neil Gaiman's Anansi Brothers. A fantastic book, if you must know. Got a good look at the countryside of the Low Countries: lots of windmills.
Brussels: wow. What a fantastic country Belgium is. We only spent a few hours here, but they were good hours. Fantastic food (if you haven't had a Belgian waffle and chocolates in Brussels, it's one of the things you need to do before you die), and the Royal Palace Square was an architechtural marvel!
On to Paris: We spent innumerable hours on the highway, because traffic backed up after a car wreck in the middle of the square where our hotel was. We were late for dinner, so we decided to get off and walk. Dinner was very...eh. Then we visited the artist's quarter at Monmartre. There's the most absolute beautiful church on top of the hill there. It's huge, and it looks out over the entire city. Paris by night is the most amazing thing I have ever seen, and you can quote me on that. I had a brief adventure with a weird waiter, and then it was back to the hotel for the evening. We had a bus tour of Paris the next morning, where I got my first look at the Louvre and the Notre Dame Cathedral. We saw the Hotel National des Invalides, which was built by Louis XIV (the Sun King) as a soldiers' home. Today, it's a museum of military history, and the tomb where the body of Napoleon Bonaparte and Napoleon II are buried. After that we ended the bus tour at the Notre Dame Cathedral. It is a very impressive Gothic-style Cathedral. Very solemn and severe. Enormous. I was more impressed with the Church at Monmartre, to tell the truth, but I'd be lying if I told you Notre Dame wasn't breathtaking. You walk inside, and you look up...and up...and up.... I felt tiny in there. After that, I went to the cemetery where Jim Morrison of the Doors is buried, Pere Lachaise. It was a pretty unique cemetery, all family crypts, some of them hundreds of years old. It was a peaceful place.
After that we went to the Louvre. If you like fine art, this is your Mecca. The Mona Lisa is there, as is the Venus de Milo. I heard that if you spent 1 minute looking at each work of art in the Louvre, it would take you 11 years to see everything. A conservative estimate at best. The Louvre is massive. I can't describe it to you. You won't get an idea of what I'm saying until you're there. And yes, I did see the inverted pyramid where Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code ends. Then we visited the Eiffel Tower, which is a fascinating structure. At night, they light the whole thing up. It's another of those things everybody should see before they die. And then we went on a night cruise on the Seine, with a really...augh...narration.
Then a train by chunnel to London.
London is my favorite city. We spent our time there visiting the British Museum, one of the largest and most thorough collection of historical artifacts (including the largest collection of Egyptian artifacts I've ever seen), we also saw much of the city, including the London Eye (a really big ferris wheel), the tower bridge, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London. And yes, we did see the British guards.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Biplane out.
Last edited by Biplane on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QueenJosephine

PostTue Jan 31, 2006 9:19 am

wow thats pretty sweet 8)

Biplane

Board Member

I like to think so.

PostTue Jan 31, 2006 9:26 am

Thanks, we aim to please.

QueenJosephine

PostTue Jan 31, 2006 9:32 am

well y'all do a pretty sweet job :D

Calibur_

Retired Member

PostTue Jan 31, 2006 11:22 am

Bill, that post, though it may seem brief to some, made me feel very wistful. I've spent some time considering living in Europe. Now I want to even more.

Paris by night is the most amazing thing I have ever seen

QFE.
XOXO,
Tarianna
Eelskin Darby the Flatulent, scourge of The Harbor

Resident English Nazi
<O/
o/ o/ o/ SIEG HEIL! \o \o \o

Biplane

Board Member

Yep.

PostTue Jan 31, 2006 11:56 pm

If you ever find the resources to do it, I would. Particularly London. Paris is certainly the more beautiful city, and Amsterdam is the more fun, but for me it would be London.

Biplane wistfully out.

Biplane

Board Member

And I didn't even mention...

PostWed Feb 01, 2006 12:01 am

And I didn't even mention the Al Sace cooking!!! Like pizza...but better! That was the best restaraunt by far. Cool waiter (who didn't speak a word of English), fantastic food, nice atmosphere.

English Pizza Hut is weird. So is English Burger King. Enjoy the former, avoid the latter.

Biplane

Board Member

But gosh darn it!

PostWed Feb 01, 2006 12:10 am

But...waaaaaaaiiiiitaminute!

This thread isn't the "Bill's Trip to Europe and PD813's Response" thread!!! This is The Playground!!! This is your place to play, learn, and when necessary, start something under the flagpole at 3:15.

Make stuff up! Knock yourselves out!!! ENTERTAIN ME!!! HAHAHA!

*Megalomaniac mode activated: Running Process: Biplane/out.exe*

Izzy

PostThu Mar 23, 2006 11:31 am

On the trip to Europe: I want to go.

Fun fact: If your lost and you can't eat chewing your fingernails will give you a weeks worth of nutrients... so says my sister but I don't doubt her.

Izzy

PostThu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 am

Oh and you forgot the following words in the rhyming part:

Oat
Gloat
Sote

Sote means sweet if you didn't know.

Biplane

Board Member

Ah hah!

PostWed Apr 05, 2006 9:49 am

And so I did!